I have spent my day baking up a storm and listening to Pixies radio on Pandora. It’s been the perfect Saturday.
Loving the sunshine flooding in through my kitchen window…
And finding a way to satisfy my craving for peeps in a bit healthier way.
Lemon Meringue Cookies
From Country Living.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 2-3 hours
- 6 egg whites (at room temperature)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine egg whites, lemon juice, and salt. Beat using a mixer on low until frothy.
- Add in lemon and vanilla extracts and increase mixer speed to medium.
- Add the sugar in a slow, continuous stream. Increase mixer speed to medium high.
- Continue to beat meringue mixture until stiff peaks form.
- Spoon (or pipe) meringue on to cookie sheets and place in oven.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Without opening the oven, reduce heat after one hour in up to 175 degrees. Bake for an additional 2 hours (or more) until cookies are completely dry.
- Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool for about 45 minutes.
- Cookies will keep for about one week in an airtight container.
Hello! Way better than peeps!
So easy to make! AND low in calories!
Hell to the YES! Sign me up for seven!
Perfect for Easter get-togethers!